Yes, I have reached a milestone. I’ve begun a new chapter in motherhood. As of yesterday at 2:38 pm I became a mother of a “teenager!”
Whoa, whoa, whoa! Is it possible, some may ask. Well, I guess so, the math doesn’t lie. 🙂
I don’t feel any different. Am I supposed to?
This is my theory. Entering into “teenage-dom” is like entering into the “terrible two’s.” I believe it’s a slow progression. I don’t believe I have too much to worry about right off. We’re still a year (although probably the shortest year ever) away from a learner’s permit to drive. Still a year away from high school. I mean right now he’s thrilled to be able to watch PG13 movies, thrilled he can go to the mall to hang out with his friends. But I know what’s to come….
I want to sit him down and
scare tell him about all the crossroads that lie ahead. But how much does he know or not know? I certainly don’t want to give him the impression that kids his age are, or could be, doing drugs, having sex, or committing crimes if he doesn’t already know it’s happening. But at the same time I don’t want him to be so naive, that he could be manipulated or taken advantage of by others. Okay, so maybe I do have somethings to be worried about right off…Yikes, now I’m scaring myself!
(Deep breath….clean air in, bad air out…) Okay…
Of course, I’m not naive. ( I wish I was some days.) I know he knows more than what he thinks I know he knows…does that make sense?
I’m going to take what I know he knows and add some, because he thinks I only know what he knows I know. Thats not much better is it? 🙂
I’ll put it this way:
- I will assume he knows waaaayyyy more than what I know he knows.
- I will, of course, have lots of talks with him. Even the ones that’ll make me blush…
- I will let him know that he can always ask me anything. (You can’t see me right now, but I’m cringing!)
- I will repeat over and over how important it is to be a kind and respectful human being.
- I will repeat over and over that no matter how bad the truth is a lie is always worse.
- I will repeat over and over how much I love him and how I will always be there for him.
But most of all…
I will be the best listener ever on this planet!
Now, I just hope he talks to me…
(Wow! Parenting is the most wicked cycle! We want them to talk, we don’t want them to talk, we want them to talk…Geeesh!)
Just a short disclaimer before I go….I do not think that I have it all figured out. If you read this and want to leave a comment, give advice, or just straight up want to correct me, please do! It only cost 2 cents! 😉
Happy Tuesday All!